To be clear, this is not a scam but I am trying to sell you something.
Uber is running a referral program where it’s paying drivers who refer their friends to sign up. I ran the numbers and they look healthy.
I signed up as an Uber driver recently and having done two Saturday nights, I can report the following:
- You do not need any experience other than general competency in driving
- Hours worked: 12
- Number of trips completed: 27
- Net earning (after fee and petrol): $415*
- Net earning per hour: $34
*This includes a $20 tip and $40 for dropping off an iPhone left behind, less $60 in petrol and $100 in Uber fees. Calculation here.
If five of you sign up and we split $2,500 six way, this is another $417 each, which brings the hourly rate to $68 per hour.
Your passengers are a mixed bag of beans
During my limited time driving, I’ve encountered:
- A French kissing couple (quietly but not quiet enough) for the entire journey
- A gay guy directing me to the best gay club in Newtown
- Four Irish ladies who requested TayTay and insisted the music wasn’t loud enough.
I also got a crash course in Portuguese and Swedish. Not really, it was more listening. Swedish is a beautiful language.
But for the most part, the passengers were cool to have a chat and/or just wanted to sleep. No moment did I feel unsafe or nervous that the guy next to me was gonna throw up.
What you need
- You need a 4-door car that is registered in NSW and 2006 or newer
- You need to complete 20 trips to get the referral money (this is around 10 hours driving based on my experience)
- There is no obligation to drive again so if you want to make $700 efficiently this may be an option for you.