Most history books focus on the ideas of great thinkers, the bravery of warriors, the charity of saints and the creativity of artists. They have much to tell about the weaving and unravelling of social structures, about the rise and fall of empires, about the discovery and spread of technologies. Yet, they say nothing about how all this influenced the happiness and suffering of individuals. This is the biggest lacuna in our understanding of history. We had better start filling it.
-Yuval Noah Harari
Hi there. My name is Kevin and I enjoy thinking about and becoming better at answering two questions:
- How to be happy?
- How to live a fulfilling life?
I believe there’s too much avoidable suffering in the world and that we should practice happiness like our lives depend on it. I believe happiness is a skill you develop and a choice you make. Like building muscle, you can decide that happiness is important to you and work at it. I aspire to live in a world where people trade expectation for appreciation, a future where fulfilment, rather than achievement, is the end goal.
- Check out what I’m doing right now.
- Check out what I’m reading and why you might want to check them out.
- Follow the trail of my mental bread crumbs below (red = my personal picks).
- Why skills trump passion in the quest for work you love
- How and why to discover your life purpose, if you haven’t got one
- Don’t follow your passion?
- Building the next billion-dollar company
- How to find fulfilling work and be happy
- 7 things I’d tell my younger self about investment banking
- 128-hour work week – finale
- 128-hour work week – sequel
- 128-hour work week – beginning
- You know you’re a seasoned investment banker when..
- How I got my foot in the investment banking door
- Writing as Therapy
- What is the Meaning of Life? Daring to ask the Big Question
- What I discovered living in my office for 270 days
- My unpopular beliefs
- Non-theistic buddhist beliefs
- The day you stopped worrying
- Where is happiness?
- Man can be perfect, but for 5 minutes
- When you wake up in the morning, tell yourself
- The importance of having core fundamental values
- Happiness is a skill you develop and a choice you make
- Waking up
- How to deal with people who like to argue
- Why honesty brings happiness
- When now is enough
- Sushil, my last UberLUX passenger
- My favourite quotes
- Guard your time and know that money has a steep discount rate
- Story about a fisherman and another about a man named Jean
- Dear mum, thank you
- What I’d listen to if only I had 15 minutes to spare
- A special post for a special person
3 MONTHS IN AUSTRALIAN OUTBACK
- Welcome to 3 months in the Australian outback
- The Indigenous challenge facing Aussie outback
- Swimming the River, a fascinating story
- The trouble with Bob from an Indigenous outback community
- The many flavours of remote outback living
- Mad dash to the finish line
- Experience of a life-time closing to an end
- Why we’re liking computers running on outdated operating systems
- When you hear the word ‘successful’, who is the first person that comes to mind?
- 500 days of taking cold showers
- The least painful diet I’m going on (how wrong I was)